Saturday, March 20, 2010

WDW Mar. 2010 - Day 1 - Departure Day

Gayle: We can’t believe it’s been just over a month since our cruise. With the demands of both of our jobs, it feels more like a year! But anyway, here we are! Kara has a work conference (Wimba) that just happens to be at Disney, so there was no question that I would be tagging along! In fact, with her schedule I ended up being the sole travel planner.

The last time I was at Disney during Spring Break time, I swore I’d never do it again. Alas, I am a sucker to get here anytime I can. I’m going to the parks far less than usual, so I’m hoping this will be the key to a better experience.

To get a better deal on the flight, we took Delta with a stop in Cincy; we usually only take direct flights. We’re also over getting up crazy early, so our 12:55pm departure was nice. Unfortunately, Kara awoke with a migraine and had to take her prescription med. It seemed to only be getting worse, even with two more migraine pills. So her flight from Indy to Cincy was pretty miserable. In fact, I feared we’d have to call her MD from Cincy, but luckily she was improving on the Cincy to Orlando flight, even if the meds make her somewhat woozy & tired. 
We arrived right on time at MCO to overcast skies and a chilly 64 degrees. I was hoping our late afternoon arrival on a Thurs. would help us get to the hotel more quickly & it worked. We arrived at Magical Express (Disney transportation), and as we did everything we were supposed to – having our documents and used the provided luggage tags on our bags – we were directed to the Express lane, bypassing the check-in desk. (With the provided luggage tags, we go not claim them at the airport. Disney claims them & delivers them directly to our room!) We had time to take one picture before we were led to our bus.

With quick drop-offs at Port Orleans-Riverside, Boardwalk, & Beach Club, we finally arrived at the Yacht Club. Again, as we had checked-in with the hotel online, we were led directly to the desk and in about two minutes had our “Welcome Home” pack and room keys. The Yacht Club is somewhat spread out, and as expected, our room is a little hike, but not bad.

If you were with us for the last blog, you know Kara likes the “darker” Disney resorts like Wilderness Lodge (WL). Me? I like light colors and seaside feel, so I usually stay next door at the Beach Club Villas (BCV). The Yacht Club, as you can expect, has primary colors of navy, white, & cream – just like my house While I love the outside of the Beach Club, I’m also wishing I could transport our hotel room to my house, where it would fit right in! Hopefully, we can post some photos here!

We were able to get an immediate table at the Captain’s Grill, which we didn’t expect. Kara ordered the crab cake appetizer and chicken & pasta entrée, while I had the Caesar salad appetizer and crab cake entrée. We both had the chocolate puff pastry with hazelnut cream filling for dessert! Yum! However, unlike the cruise, we had to reacquaint ourselves with the price of Disney Dining – yikes!

After a long travel day, we headed upstairs to unpack and shower. Tomorrow we plan to be at EPCOT all day – from opening to close. Tomorrow is also Extra Magic Hour Night at EPCOT, which means resort guests get to stay in the park an extra 3 hours after the posted closing time. This means we could potentially be there from 9am to midnight!!! Stay tuned to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment