Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 6 - Day at Sea

Like most everyone else, we had a lazy start to the day. As usual, we headed to Topsiders for breakfast and discovered the wind stayed with us through the night. We headed down to the stores for a few last-minute mementos and gifts and also to check the balance of our stateroom account. As we use our Disney Visas to pay for the entire cruise, we earn a $25 on-board credit (OBC) and our new travel agent added another $100!

So far Kara’s bought a hoodie, fleece, t-shirts, another mini-Pluto, & a lunch cooler; I’ve bought t-shirts, postcards, a key chain, ornaments for my mom, our Palo dinners and Kara;s wine bottle stopper (as all of the OBC are on my account).

The ship is moderately rocking and Kara wasn’t doing so well, so we’re back in the room. Now that I’m caught up to the present on the blog, I’ve got a minute to reflect. Since shifting into vacation mode, I’ve been able to get at least 8 hours of continuous sleep each night (even if they were aided with Dramamine) and have not been continuously forming to-do lists in my head. Starting to think of all the things awaiting me on my return, but am trying not to. I am again reminded I need to slow down and take care of me. I don’t work in the medical profession, so no one will die if I don’t get something done ASAP. And if it takes me an extra day to complete a task, I’m still hard-working, dependable, and professional. And I need to take more time to THINK, not DO; I will be more beneficial to others if I’m focused on the greater good, rather than the stack of files before me. We all know change is coming at work, but I just have to have faith God will guide to what I’m supposed to do next. I also MUST stop working so much from home. My cats are neglected and so is my house and general mental & physical well-being. I need to stop feeling guilty about taking time for me.

So back to our story… I’m actually writing this from our stateroom on Friday night. I’ll get back to that later, but it is turning out to be one of our most adventurous Disney nights ever.

So back to our second day at sea. We headed to Lumiere’s for lunch and service was again slow (hmmm). We had to dash out to make our session on Disney Innovations: Theme Parks & Resorts. Not too much was new to us, but the facts that were new were quite interesting. For example, Disney specifically uses a single entrance to most of the parks (just ignore International Gateway at EPCOT!) in order to “set the stage” to leave the real world behind. And from my experiences, it totally works!
Next was the Galley Tour that Kara had never been on. Crazy clean facility and no use of gas or an open flame. This tour always gives guests a chocolate chip cookie, for which my consumption for the week was certainly in the double digits!



The temperature was steadily dropping, while the wind was only increasing, so we wasted some time in our stateroom. Tonight was the FIRST night we were going to the formal show, as well as assigned dinner. The other shows we either didn’t like or had seen before, etc. Tonight the show was “Disney Dreams”. It is a wonderful tale of believing in your dreams with a little “faith, trust, & pixie dust”. I know this sounds corny, but we always end up crying at the end; it is not to be missed. Of course, this is just one of the many reasons it has won numerous cruise-industry awards.




Next we were off to Lumiere’s for the Captain’s Gala dinner. So what’s special about this? The Captain? No. That it’s a semi-formal dress night? No. That it’s “lobster night”? Yes! Not only do we have wonderfully prepared lobster tails, but also our server removes the lobster meat from the tails. Great food with zero effort! And yes, I also again ordered two desserts: the chocolate lava cake covered in fudge with ice cream and the banana crème brulee.

No comments:

Post a Comment